How To Survive as My Aide—Or What Not To Do
—Don’t ever hesitate to ask me what to do if uncertain.
—Don’t ever sign my name.
—Never use your money on my behalf.
—Avoid “The General Wants” syndrome—unless I really do.
—Provide feedback but be tactful to those who ask—talks between you and me are private and confidential. Alma (my wife) has nothing to do with the office.
—Never keep anybody waiting on the phone. Call back.
—I like meetings generally uninterrupted. I ask a lot of questions. I like questions and challenges.
—I like to remain enormously accessible. I like to do things with people.
—I will develop ways of getting to know what’s happening.
—Don’t accept speaking engagements without my knowledge.
—Keep track of whom I have seen.
—I tend to get moody, preoccupied. I will snap but that clears the air.
—Be punctual, don’t waste my time.
—I prefer written information rather than oral.Writing tends to discipline.
—I like to do paperwork—and I do a lot.
—NEVER, NEVER permit illegal or stupid actions.
—No surprises.Bad news doesn’t get any better with time.
—If there is a problem brewing, I want to know of it early—heads up as soon as possible—I don’t like to be blindsided.
—Speak precisely—I often fudge for a purpose. Don’t over-interpret what I say.
—Don’t rush into decisions—make them timely and correct.
—I like excellent correspondence—no split infinitives.
- Colin Powell’s Rules To Live By (linusfernandes.com)
- Colin Powell sings ‘Call Me Maybe’ (politico.com)
- Colin Powell Sings “Call Me Maybe” (buzzfeed.com)
- Colin Powell Speaks On Romney’s Foreign Policy Re: “I Can See Russia As A Threat” GAFFE (3chicspolitico.com)
- Colin Powell’s Advice To Mitt Romney: ‘Come On, Mitt. Think.’ (mediaite.com)
- Colin Powell Goes Rogue (Again), Disses Romney’s Foreign Policy and Supports Gay Marriage [Colin Powell] (jezebel.com)
- We’re Sure There’s a Reason Colin Powell Sang ‘Call Me Maybe’ on TV Today (nymag.com)
- Colin Powell: Romney Needs To Be More Mature And Realistic (alan.com)
- Colin Powell Comes Out in Support of Gay Marriage: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- A Man Is Punctual: The Importance of Being on Time (artofmanliness.com)
- Powellism and capitalism (linusfernandes.com)