Home » ToastMasters International
Category Archives: ToastMasters International
- About Human Multitasking(moisturebucket.wordpress.com)
- Paolo Cardini: Forget multitasking, try monotasking(lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- The 7 best moustaches on TED.com(ted.com)
- Is Beauty Multitasking Smart or Silly?(bellasugar.com)
- TED: Paolo Cardini: Forget multitasking, try monotasking – Paolo Cardini (2012)(ted.com)
1. Trying to lead before establishing credibility.
People will only follow you if they believe that you know what you’re doing. Credibility doesn’t come from a job title or your position on the latest organization chart. Neither can it be “willed” into existence simply because you wish it were there.
Fix: Credibility, like trust, can only be earned over time. If you’ve got a track record of success, you’ll need to communicate clearly why that success is still relevant. If you’re new to the job, you’ll have to grow that credibility from scratch. Good luck!
2. Trying to lead before there’s a relationship.
Even if you’ve got a truckload of credibility, people won’t follow your lead if they don’t feel a personal connection. If you’re the manager, they may obey direct orders so as to keep their jobs, but they won’t go the proverbial “extra mile” that true leadership inspires.
Fix: The only way to build relationships is to truly care about them as individuals and frequently showing honest curiosity about them, their ideas and the work that they’re doing. This takes time, effort, and one-on-one attention.
Continue reading on Inc.com…
- 5 Reasons Leadership Falls Flat(inc.com)
- Kathy Kurnyta: On Leadership Presence(vantageleadership.wordpress.com)
- The Conviction to Lead.(myfullcup.wordpress.com)
- Ted Talks: Hannah Brencher: Love Letters to Strangers(milkandcookies.com)
- Hannah Brencher: Love letters to strangers(popalx.wordpress.com)
- Post Script: Hannah Brencher, The World Needs More Love Letters(crane.com)
- TED: Hannah Brencher: Love letters to strangers – Hannah Brencher (2012)(ted.com)
- Love Letters to Strangers(auxpaysdesmerveilles.wordpress.com)
- Love letters to Stranger(gracewonders.wordpress.com)
- Cheerful Stuff from TED(halsmith.wordpress.com)
- Great moments in letter writing(ted.com)
I found recently that there is a name for the fear of public speaking: glossophobia. Nervousness at having to deliver a speech is common, and is found even in great speakers. It is said that Winston Churchill tried to gain confidence by writing out and memorizing his speeches, but gave up, and turned to impromptu presentations.
Continue reading on LiveMint.com…
- 25 MORE Awesome Public Speaking Quotes(bigfishpresentations.com)
- Winston Churchill’s cigar bills and draft war speeches put online(telegraph.co.uk)
- Overcoming Fear of Public Speaking(prmarketingcommunication.com)
- never give in(anotherlovelyday.wordpress.com)
In her New Orleans neighborhood, artist and TED Fellow Candy Chang turned an abandoned house into a giant chalkboard asking a fill-in-the-blank question: “Before I die I want to ___.” Her neighbors’ answers — surprising, poignant, funny — became an unexpected mirror for the community. (What’s your answer?)
Candy Chang creates art that prompts people to think about their secrets, wishes and hopes — and then share them. She is a TED Senior Fellow.
Preparing for death is one of the most empowering things you can do. Thinking about death clarifies your life.” (Candy Chang)
- Before I Die & Candy Chang – StumbleUpon(digger666.com)
- TED: Candy Chang: Before I die I want to… – Candy Chang (2012)(ted.com)
- Ted Talks: Candy Chang: Before I Die I Want to…(milkandcookies.com)
- [VIDEO] Candy Chang: Before I die I want to …(theglobalheroes.com)
- 6 art installations by Candy Chang that make the viewer part of the piece(ted.com)
- Social Innovator of the Week: Candy Chang(conversations.nokia.com)
- Before I Die I Want To(alainsojourner.com)
In this short talk, Arianna Huffington shares a small idea that can awaken much bigger ones: the power of a good night’s sleep. Instead of bragging about our sleep deficits, she urges us to shut our eyes and see the big picture: We can sleep our way to increased productivity and happiness — and smarter decision-making.
Arianna Huffington is the co-founder and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post, a nationally syndicated columnist, and author of thirteen books. She is the co-host of “Left, Right & Center,” a political roundtable radio program.
- Why is Donald Trump Attacking Arianna Huffington? (celebs.gather.com)
- WATCH: Arianna Huffington, Pro Masseuse, Rubs Down Joel Stein (newsfeed.time.com)
- Advice to Working Moms From Arianna Huffington (ctworkingmoms.com)